The first series of interviews for authors in 2021 and what better day to feature a book about Sikh history than on Gurpurab. Wish all my readers a happy and healthy Gurpurab.
This post was planned for last year but it was not to be with 2021 managing to bring disorder to all my plans. So here I am in the new year with a fresh new post and a strong, vibrant author.
Writing about our religious and mythological heritage is not only difficult but to strike a balance that makes the books interesting and relevant is equally important. My author today manages this with élan.
I had featured the Little Sikh Handbook earlier which is perfect for younger kids and now these comics will add to their knowledge.
I welcome Terveen Gill to Eloquent Articulation. “Terveen Gill is an Indian author based in Chandigarh, India. A qualified Computer Engineer, she uses tools such as feelings, thoughts, and actions, and codes them into stories that reflect the complexities and absurdities of life and beyond.”
- This book Sundari – The Birth of a Warrior, what is different about this one that sets it apart from the others? What inspired this book as a comic book Terveen?
- Sundri is an inspirational story of a young woman who chose not to be a victim by resisting torment and oppression. Sundri rose above the ordinary to become a beacon of light for the weak and poor. She embraced the Sikh faith with utmost devotion in her heart, and vowed to keep the enemy at bay with the might of her sword. This comic book is an ode to women and their limitless potential, and a journey of faith that enriches the mind of the reader with wholesome and positive thoughts. Sundri is a perfect blend of the practical and the spiritual, with life lessons for every individual.
- Sundri is inspired by Bhai Vir Singh’s Punjabi novel ‘Sundri’. The main thought behind converting the story to a comic book was to captivate the reader with alluring text and images. This comic book is intended for all age groups, and the effort put into its scripting and illustrations is to provide a quality read that leaves a long-lasting mark upon the reader’s mind.
This post contains amazon affiliate links that support the blog at no extra cost to you.
- What inspires you to write and do you have a writing routine? Clichéd but still; what is your advice to struggling writers who find it difficult to strike a balance between their love for writing and the daily grind putting up obstacles to their success?
- The inspiration to write comes from the craft of writing itself. To be able to create diverse storylines and imbibe them with characters and emotions is a creative high that pushes me to experiment further. My writing is a means of escape for me, taking me away from ‘what I know’ to ‘what I wish to discover’. Each story is a means of expression intended to entertain and indulge the reader, encouraging them to step into new and different worlds, leaving behind their stress and worries.
- I usually try to follow a writing routine, but real life can be overwhelming. The mantra is to read and write every day. Like any other craft, writing must be practiced diligently. My message to aspiring writers – have fun writing your stories, but be serious while you write.
- Can you give one line to describe your book, Sundari?
- Sundri is a tale of determination, perseverance, and resilience where even the ordinary can become extraordinary.
- Why do you choose a topic like Sikh heritage to write a book? This book is about the Sikh religion, culture and values. What research did you do for this book?
- The Sikh religion professes equality and kindness. ‘Seva’ or serving others is the foundation of Sikhism and has been practiced for centuries by Sikhs in India and across the world. Morals and values are significant and form an essential part of the Sikh culture. There are numerous tales of sacrifice and bravery that are awe inspiring, and it is a matter of pride to share these stories with the world.
- It was imperative to read Bhai Vir Singh’s novel and devise a basic storyline. However, finer aspects of the story were tweaked and certain elements were added to provide a more interesting and entertaining read. The comic caters to a wide spectrum of readers and this was kept in mind while drafting the book.
- How did you decide on the illustrator Terveen, since it is a crucial aspect of any children’s book?
- Finding an illustrator was a challenging task. Since the theme of the comic books was the Sikh faith, the illustrations were more or less depictions of Sikh history and culture, and it was necessary to create bright and vibrant images. A steady and experienced hand along with a perceptive mind were the basic requirements, and it was after much searching that an illustrator was finally hired. Technology eased the task of long distance communication, and the illustrator wonderfully interpreted the art descriptions.
- Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
- Reviews are the backbone of a writer’s existence. Good reviews are always encouraging, and the bad ones have to be taken in one’s stride. Every reader has a right to their opinion and freedom of expression cannot be curtailed. There’s always a hint of good to be found in something bad as well.
- Give us three “Good to Know” facts about you. Be creative.
- I never displayed any writing tendencies as a child. I’m not one of those ‘I always knew I’d be a writer’ people.
- Writing came to me at the toughest time in my life. It was self-therapy and made me overcome depression and anxiety. It was my creative savior.
- My favorite author is Stephen King, and I love writing suspense. There’s a dark side to me that takes over when I write fiction. But I make sure it stays in check in real life. Now, that’s a scary thought.
- Where can readers find your books and connect with you?
- Terveen GillWebsite: https://terveengill.com
- Terveen Gill Amazon Author Page: http://bit.ly/terveengill-books-IN
- Social Media Links:
If you would like to be featured for an Author Answers session on my blog, kindly email me at [email protected] with your book details and social media handles.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
In case you click on any of the links and make a purchase, I get a commission at no extra cost to you to help offset the cost to keep this website going.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.