The #WATWB was inspired by a simple conversation about how all the negativity on social media was weighing on us. Not just to talk but to make a difference we decided to try to do our part to infuse social media with all the good stories that are out there, the stories that show kindness, compassion, hope and the resilience of the human spirit. With your help, we hope to change the current landscape of social media, blogs, and news.
I had posted about WE ARE THE WORLD BLOGFEST here. Today I share a story of compassion, love and spreading joy.
I share with you all the simple story of a girl who changed herself and is making an impact all around us. I came to know Kirthi Jayakumar when I read and reviewed her book – The Dove’s Lament. the book left a powerful impact and I have followed her work since. She had not talked about all the war, insurgency and hatred in the world but the fact that goodness, kindness and love survive in spite of them. She is spreading peace, kindness and helping others grow. She is a fine example of how youth can make a change and not just think about it as she founded The Red Elephant Foundation.
The Red Elephant Foundation is an initiative that is built on the foundations of story-telling, civilian peacebuilding and activism for women and girls. The initiative is titled “Red Elephant” to stand out as a vehicle that projects stories that must never be forgotten: stories that show you such courage that you should never forget, and stories that show the world such profound lessons that the world should never forget. They emphasis on –
Storytelling for gender equality and peace.
Education with curriculums, workshops and dialogue.
Tech for Good for resources and reporting.
Digital Advocacy for gender equality and peace building.
Legal, Policy and Psycho-social research to inform our activism.
I hope you will join us and spread some cheer and light with WE ARE THE WORLD BLOGFEST
Here are guidelines for #WATWB:
1. Keep your post to Below 500 words, as much as possible.
2. Link to a human news story on your blog, one that shows love, humanity, and brotherhood. Paste in an excerpt and tell us why it touched you.
3. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
4. Place the WE ARE THE WORLD badge or banner on your Post and your Sidebar.
5. Help us spread the word on social media. Feel free to tweet, share and yell from the rooftops (ok, your neighbours might not appreciate that…so maybe no yelling) using the #WATWB hashtag to help us trend!
6. Tweets, Facebook shares, Pins, Instagram, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. We’ll try and follow and share all those who post on the #WATWB hashtag, and we encourage you to do the same.
7. Have your followers click Here to enter their link or your own #WATWB posts and join us! Bigger the #WATWB group each month, more the joy! WATWB now has a Facebook Page Please paste in your #WATWB posts in the comments. Please Like the page and invite your friends to join; we’ll be posting news items that touch the heart throughout the month. We also have a Pinterest Board, so you can pin your #WATWB posts here.