My son came home with a note for a Project for Raksha Bandhan. 

“A homemade rakhi to be made from cloth or used material.”

I was not really sure if threads fell under the used category but they are what I had lots of. They are left over from my days of embroidery; yes! I used to do it. Can’t imagine I had all that patience.

Well, threads were what I had and I remembered helping my mom make rakhi’s from thread when I was in school. We were posted to some obscure place where no one had heard of the festival, let alone cater for them.

I fished out my leftover threads’ box and started pulling out bright coloured threads from a big jumble of colour.

I sorted the ones I liked and separated them into individual piles.

Next I cut the threads as per the length I wanted. I took double the length of what I wanted to be ready.

I aligned them and made a straight line with all the threads I wanted. I took about 12 different colours.

I knotted one end of the threads and divided the whole bunch into three sections. 

Here I tried to take the help of my little assistant but he was too fidgety for me so I finally clipped it with a curtain and did the whole thing on my own.Truly DIY 😉

I then made a plait from the threads; it was pretty easy as I have done it often.

Almost half way I added a few beads on alternate threads and plaited them too. 

Left a blank gap in between for a thread bow and again threaded three beads.

Two beads in silver and one red bead and I repeated the pattern on both sides.

Then I continued the plait all the way till the end of the thread.

As I reached the end of the threads I knotted the ends when I reached the desired length – two equal halves of the thread.

I then took the small bits of thread that was in plenty and tied it in a knot in the center of the rope I had made in between the beads.

Next I cut the threads from the top and made them equal and proceeded to unravel the threads into single strands.

This ensured that the threads became like a small flower in the centre.

I also unraveled the threads at the two ends of the rakhi below the knots. This gave it a smooth finish.

Finally I stuck it on a cardboard with some invisible tape and pronto!

It was ready and it took me about 45 minutes with distractions! It took me longer to get this post ready!!

Hope you like it! Do share your own DIY Experiments with me. We all can learn so much.

Thanks for stopping by; keep writing.

Get Free Email Updates!

Signup now and receive an email once I publish something new.

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

No Comments

Post A Comment

CommentLuv badge

Get Amazing Stories

Subscribe now to get updates in your email whenever I post something new!
Your Name
Your Email
Secure and Spam free...